Saturday, October 27, 2012

Banana squash fries

A coworker offloaded a ginormous banana squash to me this week.


And since I had never cooked one myself I got online to look for a recipe. That's how I discovered that you could cut them into fries and bake them. I like sweet potato fries so I thought this should be good too.


First I found a huge knife to cut it open. Then I cut it into a ring. (This is when I preheated the oven to 435 degrees.)


Next I hollowed out the seeds and peeled off the skin. (I tried a vegetable peeler but it was too big a job for my peeler so I ended up using a paring knife to get the rest of the skin off.)


Then I cut thin slices from the ring and then sliced the slices into fry shapes.


And it all goes into a gallon size ziploc bag with some extra virgin olive oil and spices. I used allspice and cinnamon. Shakes the whole thing until every fry is coated in the spices.


One of the comments on the recipe mentioned putting a cooling rack on the cookie sheet to allow the heat to get to all sides at the same time. I left a layer if aluminum foil on the cookie sheet to both reflect the heat up and also catch the drippings. After about 20 minutes I flipped them over and stirred everything up and the put the tray back in for another 20 minutes.


They came out slightly golden, a little mushy, but completely delicious. Good with or without ketchup. Next time I will try different spices. I have lots of that banana squash left.

No comments:

Post a Comment