Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I love my job

I've been putting off updating this blog for a really long time. I always said there was nothing that significant to report to the whole Internet, so I did not.

I really like my life right now. I have an awesome wife, and a very loving extended family. My job as an Assistant Manager at Walgreens makes me happy. I have so much fun at work and I enjoy it. It makes me feel good to help people. I sometimes joke that all I do at work all day is count money. And really that is what I spend a large amount of time doing, but my job is so much more than that. I motivate those that work under me. I resolve customer concerns. I help customers find what they came for. I train people on effective customer service and upselling. Recently I have been put in charge of more things. The decisions I make on a regular basis are starting to have a significant impact on the profitability of my store, and I am being recognized for it.

Previous jobs have not given me much power to change things, but now I can. I also like the fact that the work I do I can't bring home with me, so when I'm home, I'm home. That means I can focus all of my efforts on Katie and my church calling.

Unfortunately because of my position, I work on a rotating schedule of nights and days, including weekends. So I work on sundays two out of three weeks. On the weeks I work night shifts, I don't see Katie much because she is asleep before I get home, and leaves before I get up for the day. And even on my days off, which are typically during the week, I only see her after she is done at school, and if she doesn't have other evening plans. Eventually, I hope to work my way up the ranks so I can have nights and weekends off so I can spend more time with Katie. Probably that day won't come until after we start having children, but at least I can hope.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like your job. Your life will slow down... never. I think you'll have other obstacles in your way to having time together. When you start having kids, some parts of your life slow down, but other parts speed up and you have to run to keep up.

    ReplyDelete